Monday 1 March 2010

Realisation Journal - Week of 8 February

8 February 2010

Today has pretty much sucked. I am sleeping an insane amount of hours like a hibernating bear. I slept through two alarm clocks, and therefore missed my tutorial. Then it was too late to run any of the errands or do anything else I intended to do. I will have time to cook dinner for once and maybe eating more home-cooked meals (and more veg) will improve my situation a little. Who bloody knows.


11 February 2010

I think I am getting somewhere. I actually didn't do much today, but I fixed my action plan and have sorted out tomorrow, which will mostly be dedicated to Hand and Lock. I have formulated a plan which should allow me to do both my uni work and the competition. I can do the bulk of the embroidery after hand-in, anyway. Tomorrow I am going to go to Hand and Lock to persuade them to let me photograph a jacket they are restoring. Hopefully they will oblige. Then I am going to the National Army Museum to take photos and perhaps find a book on uniforms (it seems per their website that they have an extensive selection for sale). And then - if I have time - I plan to go and view the textile collection at the V&A. After that I plan to do some drawings for my uni project at Bar Italia.
I've tried to break everything down into smaller parts to ensure I cover everything for both projects, but also to ensure that I don't overwhelm myself with a massive daily to-do list. That becomes counterproductive and leads to me feeling that I haven't accomplished anything.
Tutorial helped, too. And I got a 2.1 this term! Not bad!


15 February 2010
Had a more productive day today. Went to the Army Museum to look at uniforms for Hand and Lock. I found a few things similar to what I was thinking. I also got some drawings done for uni. I like the more nature-based forms. They are sort of geometric in their planned-out order, but much more interesting and somehow more modern, without me having to compromise my style. I intend to work on them a bit more tomorrow before going to uni to work on Wednesday.


16 February 2010
My sleep schedule is a bit better and most of it is plain willpower in maintaining a routine. It is the key thing I need to manage in order to accomplish anything to do with uni, Hand and Lock and everything else in my life. I cannot function without seven - but ideally eight - hours of sleep. So I must go to bed early enough to get that and still make appointments or do anything the next day. I must also go to bed within an hour of the same time every night or I will seriously screw things up.
Anyway, today I meant to go to the V&A, but decided to go and do drawings instead. It's proved mildly fruitful. I still like the natural themes better. I need to hone them down to simpler forms and try different leaf patterns, perhaps on A3 as development sheets. I was going to go into uni tomorrow, but I think I'll do the V&A and some development sheets tomorrow so I'll have a clear vision for Thursday. I also wanted to get photos of Waterhouse's church screen to work with. I remember loving it before I knew who did it - or even who Waterhouse was, so maybe it will further inform my designs.




No comments:

Post a Comment