Sunday 7 February 2010

Realisation Journal - Week of 1 February

2 February 2010

Yesterday and today have been mostly pointless. I don't know why I feel so unmotivated, but I need to find a way to snap out of it. Per usual, I think it is linked to wonky sleep patterns which I need to sort out.
I did get a little sampling done last night. I like the layering effect and the interwoven stuff and the idea of suspending rings with thread. If the pieces are pre-cut/stamped/whatever it will be fairly quick work to put together. Jane's right in the fact that I an accustomed to anal-retentive fiddling with samples, but I think that until I get the basic shapes and patterns established that I must be that way a little bit. I obviously need to buy some yarn and do some draping on the stand, but I am not ready for that yet. I also need to find more stained glass imagery to figure out how all this is to link together. I also think that on the jewellery one of the layers could be pre-drilled metal with the top layer blanket-stitched on.


4 February 2010

I didn't go to class today, which was very bad form. I tried to make up for it by trying to fit motifs together on paper. It's not really working and it is making me feel as though I should have paid more attention in geometry class. Nothing fits together and I am getting a bit bored with all the repetition, anyway. I intend to find more images of Victorian Gothic windows and maybe develop a more interesting pattern. I wish I could have taken photos in the Liberal Club last night, But I am quite sure that my fellow company would have killed me on the spot. The tilework - and the original interior in general - was marvelous and I never thought I'd actually find myself actually inside a Victorian gentleman's club...and especially not one designed by Alfred Waterhouse. It was absolutely stunning. And it's odd to think that just a few decades before that Churchill and H.G. Wells probably sat before that very smoking room fireplace having a cigar. Very cool, indeed.


7 February 2010

I wasn't very good about going to class this past week, but I have gotten quite a few drawings done. I was having serious issues fitting motifs together in a circle in any remotely pleasing way, but after getting a couple books from the library - one on Gothic revival architecture and one on Waterhouse's tiles for the Natural History Museum - I got some great ideas and it's starting to come together.










No comments:

Post a Comment